Mask Making

img_20161022_173523 img_20161022_171855205

Last Saturday Kathryn Hughett ran a class on faux leather mask making that attracted ~12 people.  It was a lot of fun. Kathy provided some templates and her know how. We especially liked learning how to work craft foam to make it look like leather – that will be great for costumes, etc. And we learned some new painting skills.
Michael A. Manske

Flying Halloween Skull – Update!

Last year, I put together a skull to fly around my yard (some Halloween folks will recognize this system as an “Axworthy Flying Ghost“). The system was comprised of two Adafruit Neopixel rings for eyes, attached to a styrofoam skull, which had been hollowed out. Inside it, was an Arduino Uno, Adafruit AudioFX board, a 314mhz receiver, a 3-watt Class-D amplifier, a custom-made interface board which tied all the previously-listed components together, and a LIPO battery.  The idea was that I could remotely trigger the skull to play one of four sound effects. However, all those parts sure weighed a lot, which when combined with the span between my pulleys, really made the skull sag down low.

This year, I decided to KISS.  I ripped out all the guts, except for the Neopixel eyes. I decided that this year, I’m not going to have sound in the skull. Instead of the Uno, I went with an Adafruit Trinket, and used a UBEC (Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit) to drop the LIPO voltage from 7.4V -> 5V that the Trinket and Neopixels run at. Shown below is how everything is connected together, prices, and sources if you’d like to make your own! And here’s a video of what the eyes look like (sorry about the VVS!!)!


Bluth Family Stair Car – PPPRS

For the Power Racing Series event at Maker Faire Detroit we decided to rebuild Duck, which was rebuilt from Noah Way, into something new. We decided on the Bluth Family Stair Car because we love Arrested Development and because Jim added it to the list of cars that get extra Moxie points.


The photo above served as our reference image when we were building the body for the car. We didn’t really make any modifications to the frame of the car, and it remained largely what it was when it raced a Make Faire Kansas City in June.


Continue reading

Shelfs and Brackets


This project encompasses the two areas that I know the most here in our makerspace.  The Aluminium brackets were made in our metal shop while the Walnut and Ash shelfs where built in the Wood shop.  This project was my first attempt at making dove tail joints.  First the ash and walnut were plained to thickness and glued together.  Then I cut the glued up boards to length.  The longest step in the process was setting up the dove tail joint.  After watching hours of youtube videos between test cuts with the router and dovetail jig I managed to get a passable joint.


Once the shelfs were made it was on to the metal shop to machine the brackets.  The aluminum block was first put in our lathe to make round.  Then each piece was cut up into the half moon pieces and milled on the Bridgeport.


Because wedding insanity is real

When my husband and I started planning our wedding earlier this year, we wanted to make sure we got to spend time with all of our family members who were traveling in from out of town, many from out of state.  It was one of our many reasons for trying to have a small guest list for our intimate wedding.

Oh, and also because the wedding industry is crazy.

When I saw that the veil I wanted to go with my dress was just as expensive as the dress, I decided it wasn’t that important to me.  I saw a lot of Pinterest boards with DIY wedding veil pictures and tutorials, so I figured I would give it a shot.  If it failed, no big deal.  So, this is the story of my $15 wedding veil.


I started with some tulle that was donated to the Makerspace’s Craft Lab, and sorta followed a tutorial online.  The biggest pain was pinning the tulle folded in half, so that when I cut the rounded corners, it was even.  With Karen’s help, I used ol’ string-on-a-peg to make a partial circle cut line, which let the veil fall nicely around my head.

Using invisible thread I sewed the trim lace (bought via Etsy) to the edge of the veil.  If I were doing this again, I’d clean up the lace before sewing it on, but I did it at the end and it turned out okay.


While working, I laid the veil on a very large piece of fleece material, and also folded it up inside the fleece to keep it from sticking together (the eyelashes on the lace liked to cling to the tulle).



Take THAT, wedding industry people!!