It occurred to me that I haven’t posted about my latest laser-etched wall-hanging yet. This piece was inspired by a trip out to a couple of Milwaukee cemeteries. I’m slowly learning what to look for when preparing photographs for laser etching.
Total time to etch and cut was about 3 hours. Both the front and back pieces were treated with teak oil, lightly sanded, then rubbed with a clean cloth to bring out a little sheen.
This piece is the sister to one I had posted about here. Put side by side, the tree on the right merges with the tree on the other piece to create a unifying effect. There are two other pieces that I’ll be doing for this series which will have the tops of the branches visible to unite all four.
This is my newest piece, cut and etched on our 60 watt laser cutter. Both images are from pictures that I took out at a couple of graveyards. I inverted the image in the background so that the sky was nice and dark and the trees were bright. Unfortunately, this washed out a lot of the tombstones in front, so I’m going to try re-etching this piece before I offer it up for sale.
The back piece took approximately 1 hour, 20 minutes to etch as a 11.5″ square. Additionally, I found that the margins are a bit off on the cutter. The left margin has shifted around 1/8″-1/4″ to the right, so the piece wasn’t perfectly centered.
When Raster mentioned the event, “Red, White, & Black: 100 Square Feet of Art“, I thought I’d take part. The general idea is for artists to pick up a 12×12” piece of wood and “art” it somehow, transforming it into a mini-masterpiece for an auction to support pets in need. The auction takes place on December 7th, so be sure to stop in. They’re featuring live music and food along with a raffle and the auction.
Taking a cue from some Art Boxes I’d been working on, I decided to use a similar vine motif with an orchid etched in the center. After studying it for a while, I thought it needed depth, so I laser etched a photograph that I took out at Boerner Botanical Gardens for the backdrop.
Still not content, I wanted the darker shadows of the vines to play along with the lighter picture behind, so I cut several half-inch blocks to raise the top piece above the back piece.
The back has been treated with teak oil while the front was stained with Bombay mahogany satin stain. The blocks are put specifically in each corner in order to maximize the amount of light that hits the back piece. I may add a few extra spacers for support in the coming days.