My last post showed how I made a plunger for a 3.5 liter syringe. Today’s post is the results of the first ever test of that syringe assembly including the plunger. The goal of the test was to determine if the syringe pusher would be able to push very thick, viscous paste (sort of like melted chocolate) out of the 1/4″ syringe nozzle. It was also a test of the ability of the previously made silicone plunger to maintain a seal even against whatever pressure develops inside the syringe as it is pushing.
I mixed about 1 liter of extra thick pancake batter to a consistency that I thought would be much thicker than molten chocolate (pancake batter is much cheaper than chocolate) and shoveled it into the syringe, then bolted on the pusher and hooked it up to a power supply:
Looking back, I probably should have loaded the syringe from the other end.
Syringe loaded with super thick pancake batter.
Here’s the actual test. It gets especially interesting about 1 minute in:
The syringe continued drooling after power was removed due to air that was trapped inside the syringe. As the plunger pushed, the air was compressed. When the motor stopped the compressed air continued to push out the batter. I will have to be careful to eliminate air bubbles in the material when it comes time to use this in a printer.
It only took a couple minutes to clean out the syringe after the test was done.
The pusher did its job much better than expected, and the plunger held up just fine, too. I feel confident that this device will be able to extrude chocolate. Now the real work begins…
Many 3D printers being given away as prizes! If I win one I’ll be donating it to my son’s school or other school or library that would like a machine and doesn’t already have one. To do that I need your votes!
I recently acquired a new eyepiece to replace the damaged one that came with the Meade ETX-90 telescope I bought at a swap meet last year. I decided it needed to have a web-cam mount so I designed and printed one that is a variation of a previous design for a microscope. It took about 20 minutes to recreate the CAD file in DesignSpark Mechanical, and about 90 minutes to print on Son of MegaMax.
This thing has an odd shape to accommodate the odd shape of the camera. I designed the adapter in two pieces so it could be printed without any support material. After printing the two pieces were glued together with a little super glue.
Unassembled 3D printed WebCam adapter and eyepiece.
Assembled adapter on the eyepiece.
The adapter fits over the barrel of the 32mm fl eyepiece and stays put.
I shot a short video to test it and it works perfectly! The cars driving by are about 1/2 mile away.
If we ever get a clear night I’ll try shooting Jupiter or Saturn and then run Registax to enhance the images.
Files are here: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/web-cam-adapter-for-meade-telescope-eyepiece
MegaMax was a great 3D printer, but it was time for some changes. He was difficult to transport because the electronics were in a separate housing with many cables to disconnect and reconnect, barely fit through doorways, and required a positively gargantuan enclosure to keep the temperature up to control ABS delamination. Though it hurt to do it, I tore him apart and did a complete redesign/build into a form that is more like what I would have done had I known anything at all about 3D printing when I started building MegaMax.
I reused what I could including a lot of the 8020 extrusions in the frame, the Z axis screw assemblies and drive belt, and the X and Z axis motors.
ball screw drive Y axis with high torque motor- precise but noisy
linear guides in X and Y axes instead of 1/2″ round guide rails and linear bearings
SmoothieBoard controller instead of Arduino/RAMPS
BullDog XL extruder and E3D v6 hot end
RepRapDiscount graphic LCD control panel
narrower frame design without giving up print volume- easier fit through doorways!
polycarbonate panels to enclose the print area yet provide a clear view of the print
electronics in a drawer for easy service and transport and neater appearance
DSP motor drivers and 32V power supplies for X and Y axes
Liberal use of screw terminals to make servicing easier
Modular X and Y axes that can be removed for service and replaced in minutes.
SoM will be making his public debut at the Milwaukee Makerspace very soon…
Yesterday some of us went on a little field trip to a couple local scrap yards. We met the people there and learned the ropes of how to do things right and not get hurt while digging for treasure in the piles of stuff they have laying around. Wear gloves, old clothes, safety glasses, and sturdy shoes! Stay away from moving cranes!
Here’s one of the discoveries from yesterday’s trip- explosion proof mercury vapor light fixtures:
A pallet full of explosion proof lamps at the scrap yard.
And here’s what can be done with about an hour to figure out how to get it apart to remove the mercury vapor lamp and ballast and clean it up a little. Another 10 minutes went into installing the hardware, wiring, and a 6W LED bulb. I wouldn’t call it finished yet- the base is crying out for installation of pipes to act as feet, a little more cleanup, and maybe a dimmer switch. Total invested: $18 to get the fixture from the scrap yard, and another $12 for the hardware and LED bulb.
Explosion proof industrial lamp turned into table lamp.
Join us for The Greatest Show (& Tell) on Earth at Wisconsin State Faire Park September 24th & 25th, 2016. Admission is free. A joint presentation by Milwaukee Makerspace and the Betty Brinn Children's Museum.
Connect with Milwaukee Makerspace
Join our public mailing list to talk with Milwaukee Makers about projects, techniques and more.
Check out some behind the scenes info on our wiki.