A total of 13 members and 1 guest attended the meeting.
Secretary Special Election
I will be stepping down as secretary of the Milwaukee Makerspace. Brant Holeman was unanimously elected as the new secretary.
Podium and Guest Liability Wavier
Elizabeth presented the finished guestbook. There was some concern about the wording of the guest liability wavier. Jason will investigate an alternate wording for the liability wavier and report back to the group. Right now we will keep the current wording for the guest liability wavier and move forward with completing the sign in podium. Brant and Shane will be working on completing the podium.
Made in Milwaukee
We will be participating in Made in Milwaukee this Saturday September 3rd. Shane will be putting together a flyer that we can hand out at the event. Here are the ideas for the wording on the flyer that we came up with.
- social club for skill collectors
- physical space
- for makers, hackers, tinkers, inventors, entrepreneurs, hobbyists
- Co-Op for builders
- Like the YMCA – but with tools instead of gym equipment
- Think tank with tools, evil scientists with good intentions
We will be unloading the trunk at Cathedral Square at 6am on Saturday. Tom will be packing the trunk on Friday night at the Makerspace. Any help would be appreciated. We will be bringing the following equipments and supplies.
- Power Wheels
- Power Strips
- Giant Jacks
- TV/DVD Player
- Soldering Irons
- Donation Jug
- Arduino Float
Tom got the learn to solder kits from the Maker Shed in the mail. We will be handing them out and teaching people how to solder. Brant will make Milwaukee Makerspace stickers that we can attach to the kits. Jason recorded what times people will be volunteering at and posted it to the mailing list.
Guest Book From Grand Opening
All of the guest names and email addresses from the grand opening still need to be input into a spreadsheet. Brant volunteered to do this.
Made In Milwaukee
We will be participating in Made in Milwaukee on Saturday September 3rd. We came up with the following ideas at the meeting
- Power Wheels demo
- Beer Can Float
- Arduino Float
- Soldering Class or Demo
- Giant Jacks
- Show our videos
- Create an info pamphlet to hand out
Adam will make a blog post on the website this week. Tom ordered and simple LED blinker kit from the Maker Shed that we can use to teach people to solder. We will be unloading at 6am on Saturday.
The new website is live! Members can login and start making blog posts at http://www.milwaukeemakerspace.org/wp-admin
BarCampMilwaukee6 will be at Bucketworks on the first weekend of October. The Milwaukee Makerspace will be a sponsor. Royce is thinking of giving an Arduino presentation. Everyone is encouraged to come up presentation ideas.
16 members and 6 guests attended the meeting.
Welcome Podium Updates
- Elizabeth showed the draft of the wording for the new welcome sign. Elizabeth’s wording was accepted with minor changes.
- Brent will cut the welcome sign wording on vinyl.
- Cam Bam Demo on 8/18 (Tom Gondek)
- Dip Trace Demo on 8/25 (Royce Pipkins)
- Maker Bot Demo on 9/1 (Drew Dominguez)
- Welding Demo on 9/8 (Rich Neubauer)
Made In Milwaukee
- Made In Milwaukee is on Saturday 9/3 from 9am to 11pm at Cathedral Square in downtown Milwaukee.
- Adam Cohen volunteered to be the lead organizer for the event.
- We will have 4 10×10 squares at the event.
- Event Ideas
- Soldering Class
- Maker Bot Demo
- Giant Jacks
- Ruebens Tube Demo
- Makerspace T-shirts for sale
- Business Cards and info pamphlets
- Egg Bot Demo
- Volunteers are needed to staff the event all day. Contact Adam Cohen if you are interested.
- The new website is almost done.
- Ron noticed that we are missing two sets of alan wrenches in the shop. We will need to purchase a sets of alan wrenches if we can’t find the missing sets.
- Pumping Station One is having a party on Saturday September 10th. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Greater Milwaukee Committee
* The GMC is interested in having creative groups/businesses similar to us rent out parts of the Grand Avenue Mall.
* The GMC is interested in partnering with the Milwaukee Makerspace in some way.
* Adam will be attending a meeting with the GMC on Wednesday(tomorrow) to find out more information.
Power Wheels Race at Kansas City Mini Maker Fair
* Royce and Tom participated in the Power Racing Series at Maker Fair Kansas City.
* Tom did not finish any races and still maintains his record of never finishing a race.
* Royce took second in the endurance race.
* Sector67 from Madison is in first place for the 2011 season after the Kansas City event.
Maker Fair Detroit Plans
* Several members are planning on going to Maker Fair Detroit on July 29th to the 31st.
* We will have 4 entries in the Power Racing Series..
* James Carlson from Bucket Works will be hosting “Space Camp” and offered to give us an exhibit space to show off the Milwaukee Makerspace.
South Shore Frolics Parade Updates
* Tom has the motor controllers for the pots of gold. He will be installing the new controllers on Thursday.
* Rich’s trailer is here and ready for decorating.
* We are thinking of having a cook out after the parade.
* Riminder: Please lock all of the doors when you leave the makerspace.
* The $40 a month membership is available, but has not been offically posted on the website.
12 members and 7 guest attended the meeting.
South Shore Frolics Parade
* We will be participating in the south shore frolics parade on Saturday July 16th. The parade is approximately 1.5 miles.
Parade Float Ideas
* Convert a pot of gold into a dalek. (Tom has new motor controllers for the floats)
* Convert a pot of gold into a a beer.
* Convert a pot of gold into our logo.
* Ride the power wheels vehicles.
* Make a Christmas in July float. (Rich has a 8×12 trailer we can use)
* Milwaukee Makerspace flags with our logo.
* Weird soda for kids.
* Brent will give a screen printing demo on Thursday June 30th.
* Jason will give a Max MSP demo on Thursday July 7th.
Great Milwaukee Race
* Jason reported back that the event was a success.
* All of the teams liked the oversized jacks game that Jason created. Most teams completed the challenge in 1-4 minutes.
* A total of 69 teams(255 people) participated in the jacks game and no one got hurt.
* Several member expressed interest in making other oversized games in the future.
* Jason worked with Michael on a new Word Press design for our website.
* We are hoping to switch the website from Drupal to Word Press in the next couple of weeks.
* Shane showed off a demo of his T-shirt design that is on Zazzle. The new shirts look awesome.