June’s Music Group meeting tonight was Kevin, Matt G and myself scheming, listening to cool stuff, having some whiskey and playing around with max/msp tutorials.
The MESSSSS (Makersace Eight Speaker Super Surround Sound System) that we debuted at Bay View Gallery Night Friday went over pretty well, but could use some work. We ran it off of 3 stereo receivers and 4 android phones coordinated by the PBST (Push the Buttons at the Same Time) protocol and want something a bit more controlled. Also, the levels on our pieces were very different so we had super subtle things followed by ear-splitting shrieks. While i’m personally into that kind of thing, it didn’t make for a terribly cohesive whole.
We left the meeting with 3 main actions:
- rebuild a spare PC I have with an 8 channel audio card to be the new brains of MESSSSS.
- Start on an android app to control playback from multiple devices at once.
- Kevin and I are going to spend some serious time learning max/msp. I have done a couple of things with it but they are ugly and hacky and i only made them work by pushing things together really hard.
If we can get the new MESSSSS brains up and running, we are going to refocus the music club meetings on performance and recording.