The holidays are coming, and that means it’s almost time for Makesgiving, our Holiday Make-A-Thon! Over the past eight year we’ve set aside the Friday after Thanksgiving to welcome aspiring makers to join us in making things for the holidays, because making is awesome, and a gift that’s made is better than a gift that’s bought.
It’s happening on Friday, November 29th, 2019 from 1pm-5pm and it’s free and open to the public, though we do ask that you register so we can plan appropriately for the event. We hope to see you there!
When my husband and I started planning our wedding earlier this year, we wanted to make sure we got to spend time with all of our family members who were traveling in from out of town, many from out of state. It was one of our many reasons for trying to have a small guest list for our intimate wedding.
Oh, and also because the wedding industry is crazy.
When I saw that the veil I wanted to go with my dress was just as expensive as the dress, I decided it wasn’t that important to me. I saw a lot of Pinterest boards with DIY wedding veil pictures and tutorials, so I figured I would give it a shot. If it failed, no big deal. So, this is the story of my $15 wedding veil.
I started with some tulle that was donated to the Makerspace’s Craft Lab, and sorta followed a tutorial online. The biggest pain was pinning the tulle folded in half, so that when I cut the rounded corners, it was even. With Karen’s help, I used ol’ string-on-a-peg to make a partial circle cut line, which let the veil fall nicely around my head.
Using invisible thread I sewed the trim lace (bought via Etsy) to the edge of the veil. If I were doing this again, I’d clean up the lace before sewing it on, but I did it at the end and it turned out okay.
While working, I laid the veil on a very large piece of fleece material, and also folded it up inside the fleece to keep it from sticking together (the eyelashes on the lace liked to cling to the tulle).
MegaMax has been and continues to be my main project for the last 2+ years. I am currently working on some upgrades that will make him more Mega and even more Max. The Y axis is being converted from belt drive to screw drive and the round guide rails are being replaced with linear guides and bearing blocks. The X-axis will also get converted to linear guide and bearing block and change from 5mm pitch belt to 2 mm pitch belt drive. I feel confident saying that once these modifications are complete the flaws/errors in prints will be due primarily to the nature of liquid plastic squirting through a nozzle, not positioning system errors.
I recently updated my web site with a sort of historical look at the project, including all the mistakes I’ve made along the way and the often failed attempts at correcting them. Here is the page that shows how it all started, how it has ended up, and where it is going. http://mark.rehorst.com/MegaMax_3D_Printer/index.html
Last summer I came across a collection of car parts at a garage sale; instrument clusters, lights, gauges, and some digital clock displays. For $5, I became the proud owner of a JECO Japan, vacuum fluorescent clock display. The plastic housing held all the clock electronics, membrane buttons for setting the time, and a four-pin connector. After powering it up, I realized one of the pins could be used to dim the display, which is a pretty nice feature to have.
I’ve worked on it off and on for a few months, but finally decided to finish it this weekend. On Saturday, I tweaked some dimensions and laser-cut the final enclosure. I wasn’t happy with the button holes and text I had on the front of the first iteration, so I got rid of them for the final. You can adjust the time by slipping a jeweler’s screwdriver or a paper clip through a gap in between the plexiglass sides and pressing the buttons to add hours or minutes.
I added a small single-pole, double-throw toggle to switch between bright and dim, then soldered the connections before closing it up. The whole thing is clamped together by a single #10-32 machine screw and a wingnut. The final result doesn’t look half bad.
We hosted this year’s Holiday Make-A-Thon on Friday, November 29th, 2013 and it was a big bundle of fun! Lots of people came and we helped them make thing. Lots of members showed up to volunteer their time sharing the maker ethos with the folks of Milwaukee, and that was great to see and be a part of.
Besides our CNC cut ornaments from previous years, new member Tom showed people how to fold a diamond-shaped ornament using paper. (He even put a tree together out of pink foam Tuesday night after the meeting just so we’d have something to hang the ornaments on.) For the CNC and laser-cut ornaments we had the typical paint, glitter-glue, and googly eyes for decorating.
There was also soldering using our tie-pin kit. Under close supervision, even kids are able to assemble this kit, which includes some surface mount soldering.
Local printmaker Jenie Gao joined us to help people make blockprint holiday cards, and we also had crowns made from felt, melty-crayon ornaments, pet collars, necklaces, beads, bracelets, and my own personal favorite…
Laser-cut ornaments that we let people design! We used Snowflake 2.0 from Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories which is a super-easy to use Processing application that lets you design a snowflake. We had two computers set up and we helped people do the design work, and then Lance would laser cut them from 3mm Baltic Birch wood. People could then decorate the snowflake they designed.
All in all, this was a great event. People came in and saw the space, made things for the holidays, and all of our members who volunteered seemed to have fun as well. A big ol’ thanks to everyone who showed up and made it a spectacular day of making!