Issac built a shelf, well, he built a whole shelving system, actually. It’s modular and easily adjustable. It’s not totally done, but it’s looking awesome so far!
Larry must have seen Solo, because he built this ship, which is called the “Millennium Falcon” and is Han Solo’s ship in the Star Wars films. It’s built using LEGO bricks, which is not how the real ship is built. (It’s also not full sized.)
Pete made a machine that makes noise and light using high voltage generators. It uses about 5 volts to create 400,000 volts of AC at a fairly low current. It’s shocking what you can make at the makerspace!
Andrew has been working on PCBs and while he’s got single sided PCBs figured out, he’s still working on two-sided PCBs. It’s not quite there yet, but making often involves trial and error.
Ben used a vinyl cutter to turn his tiny electric car into a “Cow Car” which sort of look like a cow, which is a common animal here in Wisconsin.
Last summer I came across a collection of car parts at a garage sale; instrument clusters, lights, gauges, and some digital clock displays. For $5, I became the proud owner of a JECO Japan, vacuum fluorescent clock display. The plastic housing held all the clock electronics, membrane buttons for setting the time, and a four-pin connector. After powering it up, I realized one of the pins could be used to dim the display, which is a pretty nice feature to have.
I’ve worked on it off and on for a few months, but finally decided to finish it this weekend. On Saturday, I tweaked some dimensions and laser-cut the final enclosure. I wasn’t happy with the button holes and text I had on the front of the first iteration, so I got rid of them for the final. You can adjust the time by slipping a jeweler’s screwdriver or a paper clip through a gap in between the plexiglass sides and pressing the buttons to add hours or minutes.
I added a small single-pole, double-throw toggle to switch between bright and dim, then soldered the connections before closing it up. The whole thing is clamped together by a single #10-32 machine screw and a wingnut. The final result doesn’t look half bad.
In an effort to make the lighting control system more user-friendly, the original board-mounted switches have been replaced with a laser-cut zone map! Instead of looking up which zone number corresponds to a particular bank of lights, each location is now identified by a green LED pushbutton. You can read more about the lighting control system and how it’s been evolving on our wiki: http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/projects/mmlc
He originally had a goal of $5,000 but the backers showed up in force to support his Folding USB Solar Cell project, and even though it’s been cloudy and raining all week here in Milwaukee, it’s all sunshine and smiles at the success of the campaign so far.
My line following robot is another step closer to being completed. I finished soldering all of the components and connected the battery to test the circuit. The next and hopefully last steps are to attach the circuit board and motors to the body.